Picture of Greg Pell
Framework Upgrade?
by Greg Pell - Thursday, 1 October 2015, 2:25 AM

Since 2.0 release I have been working in the Framework directly as opposed to the authoring tool. The 4 courses that I have built so far are using 2.0.0 of the framework (as that is what is in package.json). Assuming that is correct?

Anyway just wanted to clarify on the recommended upgrade approach for my courses to ensure they are using the latest version of the master branch of the framework? Keeping in mind I have made some modification to css and html in the vanilla theme and some plugins/extensions. I wouldn't want to overwrite that.!

I would like to upgrade everything to 2.0.2 so please let me know what the best approach is. I have struggled to find instructions on the wiki.

Thanks

Greg

Picture of Tom Taylor
Re: Framework Upgrade?
by Tom Taylor - Thursday, 1 October 2015, 8:30 AM

Hi Greg,

v2.0.2 is a minor maintenance release (mostly bug fixes), so there will be no changes required in any of the JSON in your v2.0.0 course. Getting a copy of v2.0.2 is just a case of pulling down the latest code from GitHub. The recommended way to do this is using the adapt-cli, running 'adapt create course'.

You'll then need to manually update the src folder in this new course (which is probably for the best, if you say you have some custom bits you want to port).

As long as you keep a backup of the original course, there's nothing to worry about.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 1 October 2015, 9:20 AM

If you just want to update the framework then you can download the zip of v2.0.2 and extract everything in it except the course folder into your existing course.

If you're not using version control, take a back up copy of your course first.

If you want to update everything else then you run $ adapt install - but obviously if you have been making changes to the theme/plugins you need to ensure those changes are kept and can be restored in some way either through version control or some manual method.

The theme hasn't actually had a new release since v2.0.0 so you'd be safe to update that.

Picture of Greg Pell
by Greg Pell - Monday, 5 October 2015, 1:08 AM

Thanks guys.