Picture of Simon Hedges
Can Adaptive Learning be supported?
by Simon Hedges - Wednesday, 14 October 2015, 3:52 PM

Hi

I'm hoping that the software's name implies the Adaptive Learning can or will be able to be supported.

I'd like to be able to alter course contents and navigation based on initial and in-course assessments and, ideally, based on LMS student data. Is this viable now or in teh future?

Thanks

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Can Adaptive Learning be supported?
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 14 October 2015, 4:49 PM

It's certainly something we (Kineo) have done in courses built in Adapt, but always as custom development.

For example, what content is shown to the user might be adjusted based on what their job role is, or as the result of a 'diagnostic' test up front.

I know there's been talk of adding some form of diagnostic test extension to Adapt, the challenge will be to make something that's genericised and easily reusable. Every one I've ever had to set up has been very custom to the project.

Picture of Oliver Foster
by Oliver Foster - Wednesday, 14 October 2015, 5:15 PM

Hi Simon,

The term Adapt refers to adaptive/responsive layouts and not adaptive content. 

I am currently working on implementing adaptive content as you've just described (pretty much to the letter), so the content is restricted via a few mechanisms, including a user profile up front.

It is still very much in the future development section.

I hope that helps?

Ollie.

Picture of Simon Hedges
by Simon Hedges - Thursday, 15 October 2015, 10:22 AM

Thanks Matt and Oliver for your responses.

I'll carry on evaluating Adapt with the thought of future adoption for our training development needs.

Picture of Tom Taylor
by Tom Taylor - Monday, 23 November 2015, 4:34 PM

Hi Simon,

To add to Ollie and Matt's answers: We're currently in the process of developing an xAPI tracking extension, which will open up a whole new world of learning content customisation.

There's a bit of (quite technical) discussion here: https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=970

A very interesting possibility is a branched learning path based on a learner's performance in other modules -- if a learner scores highly in one module for example, content in another module could be altered/removed to reflect this.

Note that there aren't any plans for the core dev team to work on such a feature in the near future -- anyone with some spare time that'd like to give something like this a go would be most welcome though!