Picture of Ken St. John
Install is a Bear
by Ken St. John - Friday, 16 October 2015, 11:43 PM

I love the concept but - holy cow what a troublesome install. I finally gave up after I couldn't permanently set nodis EVs - I needed a break from the frustration. I realize I've only programmed versions of micro code and C for the last 25-years but geeeeze Louise. If we want to move this project off center we've got to make it easier for adopters. Is Chocolate stable yet? Is there a preferred method of install without Nodis? Is it just me??

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
Re: Install is a Bear
by Chuck Lorenz - Saturday, 17 October 2015, 3:09 AM

Hi Ken,

The first thing to double-check with all troubled installations: node version. Required: v0.10.33 (not later, not earlier).

The authoring tool is a vehicle to make the functionality of the Adapt framework accessible to a wider audience. If you are having trouble getting the authoring tool installed and have experience with code, you might try the Adapt framework. Here's some reasons:

• The framework is easier to install than the authoring tool. Node is not required. MongoDB is not required.
  • The framework is more mature than the authoring tool. It always will be because the authoring tool is functionally dependent on its code base.
  • The authoring tool is intended by design to be used by the non-technical end user to assemble courses. The framework is more accessible and configurable—as is most software that is not dependent on a user interface.
  • All code is exposed in the framework; you can step through it to debug. And there's no interaction with a database.
  • Collaborating companies and active community members frequently incorporate their advancements into the community code. Using the framework gives you the opportunity to visit their public github repos and use what they're developing before it hits the authoring tool (if ever it does).
  • Components used in the authoring tool must have a properties.schema. It's been tough until recently for a developer to put one together because the authoring tool keeps developing and with it the schema. There are plenty of decent plug-ins out there that don't have schema's yet (and probably never will). The framework doesn't require a plug-in to have a schema.

The authoring tool has come a long way in a short time. Please note, Ken, that the authoring tool has not had a major version release yet; version 0.1.2 was released September 30, 2015. The folks who are diligently working to improve it have much to be proud of. Community members have had a variety of experiences with installation—some good, some bad—but I have found many people are willing to share from their experience and help others along. I encourage you to share your blockers. Someone is bound to pitch in.

Hope you see more success next attempt.

Chuck

Picture of Ken St. John
by Ken St. John - Saturday, 17 October 2015, 11:10 AM

Hi Chuck - great reply and pleasantly not normal for a forum. I have to say as a web designer I was intrigued by the concept and drawn in by the presentations. I saw immediate applications for my clients - new and old - but couldn't seem to find an obvious starting point on the site. My suggestion is that you spend a little more time putting the how to right in the visitor's face instead of them <me> having to search all over the place for it. I'm coming from an angle that I am an experienced designer with heavy code background in other languages - just the kind of adopter I'd want if I was on your side of the project. I had a hard time figuring out the different approaches to your framework and exactly what the differences were between the Author Tool and the framework implementation.Good example is your statement that I don't need Node which seems to be in conflict with the framework installation process which says it's required as part of the environment setup. Not a big deal since I can see why but other users will be confused.

Sometimes I get too close to my applications to see what the new user sees so I totally understand. I believe my experience is a great representation of a limiting factor that may be happening to other potential users. Perhaps there's work to be done here - right on the home page - to help smooth the way for converts like myself. I am still impressed with Adapt and to the point where I'm still trying to get the framework up and running but, phrases like "Windows users - make sure to set the NODIS_PREFIX within a Git bash" don't help if you're not familiar with the term Git Bash. It was a show stopper for me.

That being said, I have a feeling I'm becoming a joiner to the project based on the strength of concept and confirmed by your thoughtful response. So I'll continue this morning trying to get it up and running one way or another and without NODIS since the environment variable issue prevented installation of the two -cli's (they would never be permanently set so the adapt/grunt installs failed - a shame since I liked the idea of easily changing versions). In my case I did get Nodis to report I had 0.10.33 installed highlighted but I couldn't depend on that choice being a permanent one. I'll give it a try with the framework approach and stand alone Node but I really believe the Authoring tool is the key to your expansion of the user base and that the home page needs some tweaking or at least a better redirect (your link above was great and one I didn't find) to a clear install page not just to Git.

Thanks for making another believer!

Ken

Picture of Simon Hedges
by Simon Hedges - Monday, 19 October 2015, 4:13 PM

As a Windows developer I found installing both trhge Framework and the Adapt Authoring really alien but I did get there in the end.

A Windows .msi one click install would be fansastic but I've no idea if it's feasible or how to go about creating one.

Has anyone else tackled this?

Great software (although a bit early stage) once it's installed.