Picture of xie guoqiang
find more themes
by xie guoqiang - Friday, 27 May 2016, 8:40 AM

I am a  user of Adapt authoring tool. I want to find different themes to create my course.But in this web site, there are only two themes, one is the core bundled theme, another is iceCream theme which is not compatible with my Adapt authoring tool.  now  i  want to find  more themes that can be used in my course. Oh  dear, can you tell me where can i find themes. The images below  show where i find the plugin.

Picture of Tom Taylor
Re: find more themes
by Tom Taylor - Friday, 3 June 2016, 12:25 PM

Hi Xie,

You've found the right place to look; the page you've found lists all plugins registered in our Adapt registry. Unfortunately, what this page doesn't yet do is to advertise which of those plugins are compatible with the authoring tool -- a fair few of them are, but even more are not.

The open-source project so far has released only one theme: Vanilla. We may release other themes in the future, but due to our commitment to support a wide variety of browsers and OSes, releasing (and maintaining) a single theme requires a lot of work from the team. 

Your best bet is to see if there are any community members who have created their own themes for the tool and are willing to share :)

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Thursday, 5 January 2017, 12:14 PM

xie -

I started a community editable document to add and document all plugins, menus and themes which should help you to determine Authoring Tool compatability.

Find it here

Helen

Picture of Christian Lee
by Christian Lee - Thursday, 5 January 2017, 2:01 PM

Helen, great work saves all the trial and error. I',m looking forward to the day we can remove themes from inside the AT mine is starting to look like a trial n error graveyard. Do you where they are saved?

Picture of Simon Date
by Simon Date - Thursday, 5 January 2017, 3:12 PM

Hi Christian,

This post here should help you remove unwanted plugins.

Simon

Picture of Christian Lee
by Christian Lee - Thursday, 5 January 2017, 8:58 PM

Just a quick note to say I've updated to sheet to read the confidence slider installs and works fine on the AT

Chris

Picture of Helen Bailey
by Helen Bailey - Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 5:47 PM

That's fine Chris - it's a community editable and updateable sheet to add, track and comment on the plugins out there - I find new ones quite often that have slipped the net so contribute as much as you want!!

Picture of Scott L
by Scott L - Saturday, 17 June 2017, 12:25 AM

This is a great idea, Helen. Thanks for thinking of it and getting it going! I'd wondered how one would find others' themes to try out.

Picture of Chris Packert
by Chris Packert - Saturday, 15 July 2017, 2:38 PM

Helen, 

This spreadsheet is fabulous.  Thanks for sharing!  A major time-saver.  With Block Background, how do you only change the block color?  When I try to use it, I can't get past not uploading images into it.  Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Picture of PJ M
by PJ M - Monday, 28 January 2019, 1:04 PM

Hi,
could someone detail, or point to, the process to get themes (other than Vanilla) available for use when building courses in Adapt.
- when building with the AT

- when building with the framework (without the AT)

Is the ability to do both methods framework version dependent ?

Does this work to get more themes into the Standalone Launcher version of Adapt? (https://github.com/fabiobeoni/adapt-authoring-standalone) 

TIA.

Picture of PJ M
by PJ M - Tuesday, 29 January 2019, 10:17 AM

Any advice at all on themes greatly appreciated.
Installing them.
Creating them.

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 29 January 2019, 10:58 AM

You install themes the same way you install any Adapt plugin.

If you want to create one the best method would be to take a copy of adapt-contrib-vanilla, change the name and amend as necessary.

You'll find it's best to do any development work of this sort directly in the framework until you're happy it's all working there, then bump the version number in bower.json and upload into the authoring tool.

Could be worth having a look at https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/wiki/Styling-your-course

Picture of PJ M
by PJ M - Tuesday, 29 January 2019, 1:19 PM

Thanks Matt.

I did see that doc. But got a bit confused by para 3 ..

The framework permits only one theme to be installed at a time. To switch to a new theme, uninstall the Vanilla theme, then install the new theme.

Is this the case ? 
Can I not have a choice of several themes installed into my Adapt installation?
So I can choose a different one depending on the project I'm working on?  I could be working on many projects during my day. 

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 29 January 2019, 2:03 PM

'framework' is the key word in that paragraph - if you're using the authoring tool I believe it has a 'theme picker' to allow you to choose a theme from whichever you have installed.

if you're using the framework then each project/course has its own copy of the components, extensions, menu and theme