Picture of Daniell Goodin
Uploading Plugins
by Daniell Goodin - Thursday, 4 August 2016, 2:03 PM

OK, I have the Adapt Authoring tool up and running and have had a play. 

I am using the Vagrant install. 

Now I would like to load it up with the plugins i.e more themes. 

I have a handle on getting into the plugins and heading to the plugin webpage, which then will head me to the Git.. 

but it seems that its not as easy as just downloading the zip from the Github and then using the Adapt learning tool to upload the plugin?

the reading I am doing is that there might be more to it then meets the eye?

Is there a pathway that will allow the zipped files to be setup and just imported in to Adapt, or is it still going to me a case of using command line ?

I am just thinking about how Moodle handles plugins with the ability to have them loaded up from the GIt zip file that is downloaded.. 

I would like to get a handle on this as at the moment I am playing with this and H5P, which in turn I have will be teaching other trainers and users of our LMS to build courses within our Moodle LMS. 

thanks in advance for any feed back on this. 

Picture of Stephen Harlow
Re: Uploading Plugins
by Stephen Harlow - Thursday, 4 August 2016, 10:37 PM

Hi Daniell, welcome to weird and wonderful world of Adapt Learning!

I would have thought it would be as simple as uploading the plugin from the Plugin Management section of the Authoring tool, but in practice, because uploading always fails for me, I follow this convoluted process:

• Download the zip from the Git repository and upload into the Authoring tool.
    (Ignore the error, if I check there is a correct entry in the Plugin Management Components list)
  • To make the component usable I have to ssh into the Vagrant VM and clone the repository as follows:
    • On Windows I use PuTTY to ssh into 127.0.0.1:2222 with username/password vagrant/vagrant
    • On my MacBook I simply issue the vagrant ssh command since there is a builtin ssh client.
    • Then navigate to:
      /home/vagrant/temp/5733c187d15b9fa836853426/adapt_framework/src/components
      (where 5733c187d15b9fa836853426is my Adapt tenant ID and will be different for your installation; you're probably already sitting in /home/vagrant).
    • Finally I clone the component from the git repository by copying the URL to the clipboard and typing:

git clone [URL]

If there's a simpler way, or anyone can explain why uploading fails, I'd love to hear about it. I follow this long-winded technique because it works for me. (To delete plugins I use Robomongo to remove them from the database). I guess you could say, I've adapted ;-)

by Daniell Goodin - Saturday, 6 August 2016, 6:31 AM

Thanks guys for the replies.

Well, like any learning curve it is going to take some time to settle it down and work out the quirks. 

I have taken your advise Stephen and seemed to be able to get a few more plugins working via this method. 

I loaded in Tabs, Youtube player, Pin point "components" and all tested working. 

Themes and Menus I haven't had much joy on but will keep at it. 

I am going to have to put this to the side for a few weeks and come back to it as got a bitnami\AWS Moodle install being migrated across to a company for the next few weeks so will be busy getting this up and running. 

But once it is settled I would like to get into this more as its got some great potential for creation of what we need for our courses. 

On another note: I did get to play with a Docker install via the Synology NAS last night. Its a AT install done by "Familydude".. 

https://hub.docker.com/r/familydude/adapt-authoring-tool/

While I was able to get it installed with a MongoDB and get it to run, I was not able to find the Master email and password to log in to it. Thus is is going to be another mission sometime soon, as it would be good to have it running off the synology and when I want to develop I can just go into it. 

This is where I would love to have it maybe running off a bitnami stack as it would then open it up to us being able to set it up for other users to access and create on the run when they felt like it. 

Has anyone looked in to this?

Is it worth chatting to the bitnami crew and seeing if they would make a container for it to add to their depository?

Also, if someone is interested in the logs on why my Vagrant install is not like the plugin uploads can someone point me towards where they are being left.. as yet I haven't found them .. 

Picture of Ben Pascoe
by Ben Pascoe - Friday, 5 August 2016, 8:19 AM

This might not be helpful right now, but with my server install (currently on Windows 8, authoring tool V0.2.0, framework V2.0.11) I've never had any issues uploading the zip file of a compatible plugin from Github through the authoring tool interface.

Also, this post is useful when you're looking for plugins that are compatible with the authoring tool: https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1428

by Daniell Goodin - Sunday, 7 August 2016, 2:00 PM

ok, What a weekend of learning, but getting the hang of it and setting up for course building. 

How do we go about importing a course?

I have got the framework install going and managed to pull down the demo. 

Now what I would like to do is pull it into a vagrant install.. is this possible?

Understanding that it seems all the files at this stage are locked away within directories within the VM, 

So with this in mind could it be possible to SSH into and upload files into it, thus importing a course that has been played around with in the frameworks?

or is there an easier way that I haven't found yet?

Picture of Stephen Harlow
by Stephen Harlow - Sunday, 7 August 2016, 8:29 PM

There's a thread on developing Authoring tool import/export ability, but as yet the functionality hasn't been rolled into the official release. According to the roadmap import/export is slated for 0.4 although it seems to exist in a development branch.

I naively began by thinking it might be as easy as exporting a course's source code and dropping it in the [tenantID]/adapt_framework/courses folder, but unfortunately it is not so!

by Daniell Goodin - Monday, 8 August 2016, 2:46 AM

Thanks for that, looks promising.

Reading through some of the development posts and what others are experiencing. I can see this becoming a valued add-in, understanding the work that needs to be done before it goes live. 

Within our organisation, there is going to be a compliance check, as we have to work to the VET guideline of the course mapping. Which covers logging and grading of the Clients\Students work. 

So this means that anything that we create would be going through compliance before it can be used within a course. So the ability to edit on the run would be great.