Picture of Mark D'Aquin
Accessibility - Focus
by Mark D'Aquin - Wednesday, 31 August 2016, 8:58 PM

Hi Matt,

I am working with the accessibility group here at my company and there is a requirement to follow strict accessibility guidelines. The biggest issue they had when reviewing my Adapt course (basic vanilla theme) was keyboard only focus. 

Their comment: The most critical issue is related to keyboard-only operation and the fact the keyboard focus is not visualized at all, when running in a non-accessibility mode. Focus visualization is standard for all modes and required to allow users recognizing where the keyboard input takes effect. 

They also stated that it would be closer to a desired state if accessibility was always on. I think what they are looking for is how this website works if you begin tabbing through the page - where you get a blue highlight on items of focus and when you go back to mouse it goes away. 

I feel that I need to get this somehow resolved in order to move forward with Adapt. Any ideas??

I did find this link via W3C - https://gist.github.com/bkardell/2409d37cb1b34febc35f 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Accessibility - Focus
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 5 September 2016, 3:03 PM

Hi Mark

We've already touched upon this in this discussion.

I agree that this is something we need to focus (!) on.