Picture of Adam Laird
Fallback FROM flash
by Adam Laird - Friday, 28 February 2014, 10:41 AM

Does any one else see the value of having a component that would be a flash component with a fallback non-flash component for those times when it's just a lot lot easier to have an interesting flash interaction but then specify a different interaction if flash unavailable?

Flash is still the easiest way to create a new interaction as a one off I find due to the, at present, limited available interactive presentation components.

Picture of Petra Nussdorfer
Re: Fallback FROM flash
by Petra Nussdorfer - Friday, 28 February 2014, 11:32 AM

I totally agree with you!

(See my post about swf support)

Picture of Chris Jones
by Chris Jones - Friday, 28 February 2014, 12:57 PM

Content fallback is a hotly contested subject, but the current opinion is that a component should be available at all sizes and platforms.

The alternative point of view is that components can (optionally) degrade gracefully if the content cannot be displayed. Now this is not currently supported in the Adapt core but it could be introduced by a custom plugin.

Picture of Adam Laird
by Adam Laird - Monday, 3 March 2014, 3:20 PM

we see lots of attempt html5 with flash fallback with mixed results. for video its generally fine but its often that flash is simply the better looking tool and more widely supported when talking about desktop browsers so I can really see the benefit in the short term (1 to 2 years) of having the fallback options reversed

Picture of Kev Adsett
by Kev Adsett - Monday, 3 March 2014, 4:25 PM

I guess the consideration is what happens on platforms that don't support the flash content? Do those users just miss out on the experience? 

Unless your Flash component used an Adapt JSON model, in which case I suppose you could implement an HTML fallback based on the same model, but I can imagine the work required increases significantly if one takes this approach.

Picture of Adam Laird
by Adam Laird - Tuesday, 4 March 2014, 9:19 AM

What i'm thinking about (not sure how it would be implemented or if even possible without major framework change) is somethinkg like the below

{
        "_id":"flash_componentID",
        "_parentId":"parentID",
        "_type":"component",
        "_component":"flash",
        "_fallback":true,
        "_layout":"full",
        "title":"",
        "swf": "some.swf",
        "fallback":[
                "_id":"fallback_componentID",
                "_parentId":inherit,