Picture of Daryl Hedley
Components/Interactions
by Daryl Hedley - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 8:48 AM

Hey,

I would first like to say thanks for all the people contributing in the community site and adding their views/problems. This really helps us shape the product and fix bugs.

Secondly I'd like to open up the opportunity for community members to suggest a component for Adapt. This will be built in partnership with myself and another developer (likely a new collaborator). We've found that new developers coming on board are most likely to continue contributing when they have a self-contained component - instead of working on core features.

I've seen a few discussions on here about components and what people would like to see/have in Adapt. So here's your chance! Post ideas - as the core team we will review the components and put the top three (based upon similar features/complexity and feasibility) in a vote.

You'll get to see how our core team works and the prototype/wire-framing stage will be released to help developers create components in the future.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing some of your ideas,

Daryl

Picture of Eoin Donaghy
Re: Components/Interactions
by Eoin Donaghy - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 9:50 AM

Hi Daryl. Eoin at Learning Pool here. There are a number of components we'd like to see. The reveal component is one of them and also the ability to use a block slider would be useful. In a previous incarnation of our Adapt Framework we had these but have since lost them. Two more components that we think would be very useful are:

• Open Input - where the learner can input free text into an essay box, which is then carried through to another component where they can compare their 'answer' with a model one. Effectively, this is two components - one for the input and then one for the feedback. This is something that has worked very well for us from an ID point of view in other authoring tools we have used
  • Embedded content - the ability to stream videos (say from YouTube) without having large, cumbersome video files as part of the course. I'm sure we are not alone in using a fair amount of video in our courses but streaming rather than playing directly from the course files makes the course much leaner and faster. This could also be used to embed other web functions such as maps

Thanks!

Eoin

Picture of Adam Laird
by Adam Laird - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 10:17 AM

you can already use streams for the media component i.e.

"media": {
            "mp4": "http://content.jwplatform.com/videos/evm6eFp9-Z2c28VEe.mp4",
            "ogv": "http://content.jwplatform.com/videos/evm6eFp9-B8VMLAux.webm",
            "_allowCompletionOnInview":true
        },

Not sure if Youtube gives you a URL to use with your own player these days so presume the component you'd actually want would simply be an iFrame component?

Picture of Petra Nussdorfer
by Petra Nussdorfer - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 9:52 AM

My spontaneous ideas are:

Hotgraphic as a question component: click on a predefined spot in an image

Fill in the gaps: Could be implemented with drop-down list, drag&drop or text input

Puzzle:

puzzle

Best regards,

Petra

Aniket Dharia
by Aniket Dharia - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 9:56 AM

Hi Petra - 

Query - What will happen to the puzzle size/layout when it goes down on the mobile?

Regards,

Aniket

Picture of Petra Nussdorfer
by Petra Nussdorfer - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 10:39 AM

Hi Aniket, 

that's a good argument. I haven't thought about it yet. 

As I wrote, these were just some spontaneous ideas :-)

Regards, 

Petra

Aniket Dharia
by Aniket Dharia - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 9:57 AM

Hi Daryl - 

We are working on a matching template which would change itself to drop down when we go on smaller screen sizes. The component is nearly ready just trying to find a way to tight couple these two parts together. Currently our matching template calls the drop down template developed by the core team but reverse is not happening so we are working on that. Can you help us with it?

Picture of Mathew Gancarz
by Mathew Gancarz - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 3:05 PM

A calendar drag and drop or some sort of matching activity. For example in some courses we have an assessment where a drug/medication dosage schedule has to be planned out.

The learner gets presented with a number of options (some repeating ones included, as some dosage has to go on multiple dates) and has to match them up with the right date on a calendar.

Picture of Lucy Hodge
by Lucy Hodge - Friday, 7 March 2014, 4:02 PM

Hi Daryl,

Our ID and development team has been thinking about components which we'd find useful - some of which have already been discussed here or on the other thread (https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=154). Our ideas include (in no particular order):

1) Open input – including some level of keyword recognition so that feedback/model answer can vary depending on the matched text, and ideally with an ability to retain data. This is something lots of clients ask us for – they often don't feel there is value in open input questions without keyword recognition, but don't feel it necessary to score the learners (they won’t be penalised if the keywords aren’t entered, or for spelling errors).

2) Tabbed slide out - in its initial state rather like the accordion, but on selecting the tabs some text/img/media slides out to the right or left. This could resize into a simple accordion or pop-up.

3) Variants of click and reveal/pop-up interactions – while the hot graphic meets our basic needs, this is an interaction type that we think benefits from variety!

4) Timeline – timelines are a firm favourite with clients, particularly for inductions/change management/processes. While again the hot graphic could be repurposed, enabling sliding within a timeline component would be great.

5) Exploratory graphic/map tour – users can navigate around a larger graphic to find out more information

6) Data visualizer – a graph or chart could be generated from input data, potentially with selectable areas for further explanation

7) Flip card – could be used either as content presentation or as part of an assessment

8) Drag and drop – I know the issues with this include accessibility and how to present on different devices, but perhaps a matching/drop down alternative could  presented so that the learner could choose to take it in a different way?

9) Likert-type questions - for self assessment, generating different feedback depending on the rating

Some of these will of course be easier than others to implement/will have a wider appeal, but over time and with the fantastic work that the community is already doing, I'm sure that we'll end up with empty wish-lists.

I'm looking forward to seeing what will make the initial cut!

Thanks,

Lucy

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Friday, 7 March 2014, 4:42 PM

Hey everyone,

Some really great ideas. Just an update on our current progress on components.

We have been developing a slider question component, a confidence slider component and a reveal component. These are pretty much there - and we're adding the Open Input type question.

Lucy I like the idea of a data visualisation component - from a technical point of view we could use raphaelJS for data visuals. Would be great to explore this.

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of Nicola Bamford
by Nicola Bamford - Friday, 7 March 2014, 5:03 PM

Daryl, is it possible to store open input answers and push them to an LRS or LMS via an API?

I think when we talk about open input there can be different kinds: the short 'keyword' recognition, discussed here, and longer essay type responses (this kind may benefit from the learner being able to store or send their response somewhere).

What does everyone else think about the open input trends? Are we still seeing both kinds?

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Monday, 10 March 2014, 11:28 AM

Hey Nicola,

Scorm allows only a limited amount of data. But it really depends on the client as to whether their LMS allows more data to be pushed back. At this point - I would suggest that it's not that possible. Maybe with Tin-Can we can push it further. It all really depends on the system loading Adapt.

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of Chris Jones
by Chris Jones - Monday, 10 March 2014, 3:18 PM

I did some work on adapt contrib spoor to allow alternative serialisers.

This would allow us to use compression like gzip.

The pull request is here https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt-contrib-spoor/pull/18

Aniket Dharia
by Aniket Dharia - Tuesday, 11 March 2014, 7:59 AM

Hi Lucy - 

This list of interactions seems interesting. Please find below few details that we are working on.

3) Variants of click and reveal/pop-up interactions - Is already developed let us know if it meets your requirements if not please add comments for enhancements.

https://github.com/aniketdharia/adapt-clickandlearn

7) Flip card 

Already developed and under reviews for the content screens - https://github.com/aniketdharia/adapt-flipCard

8) Drag and Drop would be difficult from usability point of view on Mobiles as the dragables or the drop areas might go beyond the scroll. I would suggest that we use a matching template, where instead of user dragging and dropping we can give a "click-click" functionality.

Let me know your thoughts on the same.

Thanks!

Regards,

Aniket

Picture of Fabio Beoni
by Fabio Beoni - Thursday, 29 June 2017, 1:43 PM

Hi Lucy,

I found your post interesting, and I'm wondering if you got some of the components were suggesting.

Thank you, best.

Fabio.

Picture of Ted Curran
by Ted Curran - Monday, 12 June 2017, 2:34 PM

I recently discovered the need for just a simple "file download" component where I can post a PDF or PPTX for students to download. At minimum, it could just be a simple link with a button to download the file. Extra points for a web preview where they can see and interact with the file from the browser.

Thanks!
Ted

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Friday, 30 June 2017, 12:26 PM

Hi Ted,

Adapt has a Resources drawer (sidebar) built into it for this purpose: https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt-contrib-resources.

When developing courses, I've often had the requirement to include a PDF (whether stored locally with the module or remotely on another server) in the Resources for convenient reference throughout the course and to include a link (<a href='course/en/pdfs/my-resource.pdf' target='_blank'>) directly within the text content in the component's body. This can be achieved in both the framework or in the authoring tool, though the path to the pdf will be slightly different.

Does this technique suit your needs, or do you need something more?

Chuck 

3 idiots
by prabaharan periasamy - Monday, 3 July 2017, 1:06 PM

HI Daryl

I just finding a way to embed web object, like html 5, basically interactions, having assets like  images, audio , user interactions and responsiveness in adapt block, but it seems no plugins available for this

I see this functionality is provided by adobe captivate and story line, where they embed web objects into the slide.

i would like this kinda future in adapt, which supports web objects like html 5 , flash objects etc, any thoughts .. appreciable..

Thanks

Praba

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 3 July 2017, 3:21 PM

Hi Praba

The following plugins all enable that sort of functionality:

https://github.com/LearningPool/adapt-contrib-responsiveIframe

https://github.com/cgkineo/adapt-iframe

https://github.com/anthkris/adapt-game-frame

https://github.com/kingsonline/adapt-h5p

https://github.com/liquidmelon/adapt-component-animateCCmate

3 idiots
by prabaharan periasamy - Tuesday, 4 July 2017, 7:54 AM

Thanks Matt, let me try and see how it works..

Thanks

Praba