Picture of Daryl Hedley
Community testing of pre-releases
by Daryl Hedley - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 10:20 AM

Hey,

Another option I would like to open up to the community is pre-release testing. Would members of the community like to test pre-releases and help with finding bugs? It's a great way to contribute and find bugs across a variety of devices. Plus you get to see new features first.

How I see this working - A zip will be posted up here. Test the new features which will be given in a list. The testers will need to use github issues and milestones to record bugs.

Please let me know if people are interested in testing.

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of Adam Laird
Re: Community testing of pre-releases
by Adam Laird - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 11:18 AM

Yep happy to be involved, already having fun trying to get your various feature branches working together ;)

Picture of Mark Fletcher
by Mark Fletcher - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 11:25 AM

Hi Daryl,

I would also be interested in pre-release testing.

Cheers,

Mark

Picture of Martin Sandberg
by Martin Sandberg - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 12:34 PM

I would also be interested in pre-release testing.

BR

Martin

Picture of Amir Elion
by Amir Elion - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 2:08 PM

Hi Daryl,

You can count me in too.

Amir

Picture of Mathew Gancarz
by Mathew Gancarz - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 3:01 PM

Same, glad to help out and interested in seeing the progression of features.

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 3:15 PM

Hey,

Wow this is fantastic! Thanks for wanting to help out. I'm currently updating repos and will publish a package up soon. I have also created a testing brief with all the new features and how to test them, the git repos and milestones.

I'll write up a document on how to track these issues.

Thanks for the support,

Daryl

Picture of Thomas Schmidt
by Thomas Schmidt - Saturday, 8 March 2014, 11:59 AM

Hi there!

Absolutly - YES! Would like to test that and help!

Cheers

Thomas

Picture of Neil Hone
by Neil Hone - Saturday, 8 March 2014, 6:03 PM

Count me in!

Cheers,

Neil

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Friday, 14 March 2014, 3:46 PM

Hey my fellow testers,

I'm pleased to announce our first community testing. Thanks for all the people volunteering - it's going to make this project solid. Lots of new features and hopefully you'll be able to comment on these and think of new features.

Here's the link:

https://community.adaptlearning.org/course/view.php?id=4

Please read the testing brief and good luck.

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of Mark Fletcher
by Mark Fletcher - Tuesday, 25 March 2014, 9:51 AM

Hi Daryl,

Sorry to sound dense, but can you provide me with the steps I will need to install this pre-release version of the framework? I know that the PDF says just to use $ npm install but does this mean that I should use entire $ npm install adapt-cli -g command?

Kind regards,

Mark

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Tuesday, 25 March 2014, 10:34 AM

Hey Mark,

You'll need to download the zip package and run:

$ npm install

to grab your node modules.

You should then run the standard build tasks like:

$ grunt dev

$ grunt watch

and

$ grunt server

This should be enough to view the course.

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of Mark Fletcher
by Mark Fletcher - Tuesday, 25 March 2014, 11:15 AM

Hi Daryl,

Many thanks for getting back to me on this. Can you expand on what you mean by 'grabbing your node modules'?

Cheers,
Mark

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Thursday, 27 March 2014, 12:42 PM

Hey Mark,

To run grunt and the various other tasks we have in Adapt we need to "grab"/"install" those dependencies from node package manager (npm). Running "npm install" does this. So when you're running "$ grunt dev", "$ grunt server" or "$ grunt watch" it's running a few packages from npm and these all do tasks to help automate our build process. Hope this makes more sense?

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of Zbigniew Misiak
by Zbigniew Misiak - Wednesday, 19 March 2014, 8:44 PM

I will be glad to take part in tests too

Best regards,

Zbigniew Misiak

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Monday, 24 March 2014, 8:47 AM

Hey,

Just a quick check in - just wanted to see how we're doing with the testing? Once I have a few replies back we can start fixing the issues and make the release.

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of Adam Laird
by Adam Laird - Monday, 24 March 2014, 10:26 AM

only done a little bit sorry due to a rush job I've got on, will try schedule in a bit more this avi

by Mathew Gancarz - Monday, 24 March 2014, 4:06 PM

Hi Daryl, I've started doing some testing on Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP and Windows 7 and the presentation components are pretty badly broken, to the point of it really needing to be run by a developer directly and tackling the badly broken things. See attached pictures for some samples.

The question components fare a bit better, but still have some bad bugs such as being unable to click submit on the slider type question.

I'm doing my testing in Browserstack and from my experience, since it's running actual VMs of the OS and browser, it faithfully matches real life hardware. I'd strongly recommend one of your developers get an account with them, even if it is the free 3-month subscription via the top option at: http://www.modern.ie/en-gb/virtualization-tools

We also do have a Windows XP laptop with IE8 on it so I can do some specific testing on that if you don't trust BrowserStack.

The pictures below are 4 separate pictures, it just looks like one due to the way the forum is displaying them.

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Monday, 24 March 2014, 4:57 PM

Hey Matthew,

We've had mixed results from Browser stack so I'm not completely comfortable with it being used for IE8. This is due to a few reasons - the flash player is never instead so media components never work. Also we do some calculations (hence the narrative not rendering properly after divs are added) in our postRender method on components - This is normally not displayed properly. The accordion one is interesting though - I haven't seen that one before. The GMCQ seems to do that as it's trying to get the images from a source outside of the course folder.

We've done some initial tests on our IE8 machine and all these issues do not appear. Would you mind testing on the IE8 machine please?

Thanks,

Daryl

by Mathew Gancarz - Monday, 24 March 2014, 9:06 PM

Will test, I managed to dig up a Vista machine that I can upgrade to IE8.

by Mathew Gancarz - Tuesday, 25 March 2014, 4:21 PM

Hi Daryl, I've tested on a laptop with a fresh install of Windows 7 with IE8 (couldn't get Vista to accept IE8) and I get the same results as BrowserStack. The only difference is the Big Buck Bunny poster image shows up instead of the black square in my previous screenshot.

I've also loaded up a VirtualBox VM with the Modern.ie WinXP - IE8 VM in it, and also get same results.

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Tuesday, 25 March 2014, 4:42 PM

Hey Mathew,

Really strange! I've just run this through our IE8 machines and it works perfectly fine. Does anyone else have an IE8 machine running? (It's like a naming and shaming of who runs IE8). I'm going to run it again and get our testing team to run it. Can I ask whether you're running a local version or off an LMS/community site? Could be going into compatibility mode.

Thanks,

Daryl

by Mathew Gancarz - Tuesday, 25 March 2014, 6:37 PM

I'm running it directly off of the community testing course: https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/scorm/view.php?id=34

I've also downloaded the zip file and uploaded it directly as a scorm package into our moodle instance and get the same results.

by Martin Sandberg - Wednesday, 26 March 2014, 6:46 AM

I have an old machine that is running IE8. I just started it up and tested the online version of the beta and get the same issues that Mathew got. I get white patches where certain text elements should be. For instance, the accordion headlines show up correctly but not the texts.

Menu and resources

These work as expected

Welcome to Adapt Learning

When loaded, this page contains no headers or texts. What I can see is:

* one black area where the movie is supposed to be. No movie shows up when clicked.

* The image for the hotspot with square hotspot markers. Clicking those brings up the correct texts and images.

* The headlines for the accordion component, but not the texts when headlines are clicked

* The MCQ alternatives but no submit button

* Narrative looks awful, with the three images in a row below each other and no texts.

Presentation components

Just like the "Welcome to ..." part.

Question components

Here I can see all Headers and texts.... I also see all the submit buttons (did not see that in the "Welcome..." part). The question components work better but no feedback texts arrive.

Adapt comes with some plugins too

Here I can see all Headers and texts.... I also see all the submit buttons

* popuptexts in the beginning work

* questions work but give no textual feedback

* Trickle works

* The overall feedback when all questions are answered does not appear

Tested on

Windows XP with IE 8.0.6001.18702

EDIT: It did not run in Compatibility mode

Best regards,

Martin Sandberg

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 26 March 2014, 11:01 AM

Just to confirm much the same findings as Martin... both from the community site and my own local webserver.

Daryl, remember when I said 'if you don't get IE8 bugs, you're not trying hard enough'? Looks like you're now trying hard enough ;-)

by Mathew Gancarz - Wednesday, 26 March 2014, 1:42 PM

We met with an accessibility clinic at a local design college yesterday.. when we told them we had to support IE8 they gave us a look fully of sadness and regret and said "I'm so sorry.."

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Wednesday, 26 March 2014, 2:20 PM

Hey,

So located this issue. It's a problem with flash player 12 and an outdated version of the mediaelement.js. I've updated the media-element and will get a new version uploaded by end of today. Thanks for your testing so far.

Thanks,

Daryl

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Thursday, 27 March 2014, 10:46 AM

Hey,

Just to let you know that we have fixed the error in IE8 and now the media element player has been updated.

This fixes a variety of issues with the page loading.

Thanks,

Daryl

by Mathew Gancarz - Thursday, 27 March 2014, 2:18 PM

Thanks Daryl, I did a run through of the BETA2 module and can confirm it looks to be all fixed except for one minor display bug with the GMCQ component, where the options don't show up correctly. I'll submit it as a bug in Github

Picture of Alan Bourne
by Alan Bourne - Thursday, 27 March 2014, 3:52 PM

Hey I think this is because the images are located on an external website for this component. I am making a fix for this and will add this on the GitHub page shortly.

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Monday, 31 March 2014, 2:53 PM

Hey Everyone,

Just a warning that tomorrow 12pm GMT we will be closing the testing and we'll start fixing the issues raised. So if you've not tested please try and get these in before tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help so far,

Daryl

by Martin Sandberg - Tuesday, 25 March 2014, 3:59 PM

Only done a bit of testing. It seems to work fine in Firefox 27.0.1

The one strange thing I found was that as soon as I opened "Adapt comes with some plugins too" I got this alert:

Alert
Oops - looks like you've not passed this assessment. Please try again.

and after I clicked OK I got

Leaving so soon?
Looks like you're trying to leave this page, yet you haven't completed all the learning. Would you like to stay on this page and complete it?

Clicking Yes gave this
Popup title
This is a popup to add additional information - looks like you selected yes on the previous prompt - please close me by pressing the 'x'

This seems like it should not have happened I guess. Tested it in Opera and got the same.... maybe this is by design? Feels strange though.

Love the way the feedback now comes in the middle of the screen and not in the top.

Picture of Daryl Hedley
by Daryl Hedley - Tuesday, 25 March 2014, 4:39 PM

Hey Martin,

In the release notes it mentions about the alerts popping up. Because we're doing feature testing I had to put the notifications somewhere. But you're right - this shouldn't be there in the framework it is purely to be tested that notifications can be triggered through events.

I agree about the feedback being in the middle makes a lot more sense - quite a lot of customers wanted this change so thought it was time we pushed it in. Saving having to move your mouse around the screen.

Thanks,

Daryl