Picture of Chris Gillison
Adapt Hotspot menu with intro screen
by Chris Gillison - Friday, 17 March 2017, 12:22 PM

Hi all,

The Adapt community has been so helpful and friendly since I got on board a year ago. I'm not what you'd call a coder but I've been wanting to contribute something. I've been messing around with the hotspot menu and have added an intro screen that slides up to reveal the menu. The intro screen title and body text are independent from those of the menu to offer a bit more customisation. I've uploaded a build here.

The question I have is, as I've made changes to the menu's JS, handlebars and LESS files, but also expanded the course.json slightly and added a bit of custom CSS, what would be the best way to make it available to the community should anyone want to have a play with it?

Thanks and regards, Chris

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Adapt Hotspot menu with intro screen
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 17 March 2017, 1:17 PM

Hi Chris

Thanks for this - this is a nice feature!

Assuming that this is something that is configurable i.e. it would only show this intro screen if you set it to do so then the best way to contribute this back is to make a pull request back to the original plugin owner's github repository.

I don't know how familiar you are with Github and the pull request process but I wrote up some basic instructions for someone else in this post that would get you started...

Picture of Chris Gillison
by Chris Gillison - Friday, 17 March 2017, 8:32 PM

He he...

Thanks Matt. That's a bit mean asking for 'configurable'! - I cribbed the code from cover-menu and I don't see anything configurable in that! It's a fair point though. I'll see if I can come up with something when I get a minute. Maybe I'll start the PR now (never done one before) and add a note about making the intro screen optional as a 'to be continued by me or anyone else who fancies it!'

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Saturday, 18 March 2017, 7:31 AM

Chris,
A considerable amount of cribbing goes into learning to code. Fundamentally it is about recognizing patterns. Look for other plug-ins with the feature you need, identify the section of code responsible for the behaviour, and see if you can incorporate it. Keep this as your project. Repost if you get stuck. Lots of people here to help you along.
Thanks for giving back.
Chuck Lorenz

Picture of aaron quinn
by aaron quinn - Saturday, 18 March 2017, 5:00 PM

wow, this a very cool demonstration. in fact, i can see it as a very cool extension that would allow the intro screen to display over any menu (box, elastic, cover, etc)