Picture of Jana Kemmer
Trickle Scroll Bug in Moodle on iPad
by Jana Kemmer - Monday, 3 April 2017, 2:27 PM

Hey everyone, 

I'm having quite a bit of trouble with a Bug that only appears when viewed in Moodle (popup with iFrame) on an iPad (iPad Air 2, iOs Version 10.2.1, same Bug on older iPad). 

I have trickle enabled and scroll enabled. But when the trickle-button is clicked instead of scrolling it Jumps to the top of the page and then performs a small auto-scroll downwards. 

When I test it locally I have no issues with the scrolling-behavior. But we previously had a similair scrolling-bug that had to do with accessibility in the config.json. 

I updated our adapt-framework version last week to 2.0.17

Does anyone have an idea what to try?

Picture of Matt Leathes
Re: Trickle Scroll Bug in Moodle on iPad
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 3 April 2017, 3:27 PM

Hi Jana

Unfortunately Safari for iOS is notoriously bad at dealing with web content in iframes or framesets, leading to issues like you describe.

You could try installing the adapt-iOSScrollFix plugin, that might sort it out. Alternatively many choose to force the course to create its own new window so that there's no iframe involved - there's quite a bit of discussion about this here. We also built an extension to help with this which can be found here.

Equally it's possible to modify Moodle so that it doesn't use an iframe, you can find more info about that here.

Picture of Chris Gillison
by Chris Gillison - Monday, 3 April 2017, 5:43 PM

I'm having the exact same issue when testing with my own Moodle setup, so thanks for the pointers Matt - I'll take a look.

The end product will be on Kallidus though. I don't suppose with all your LMS knowledge you know whether Kallidus uses a frameset/iframe do you?!

Chris

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 3 April 2017, 6:42 PM

I don't but I'll ask around here, see if anyone else knows...

I tend to use Moodle v1.9.x for testing since it doesn't display content in an iframe... or SCORM Cloud.

Picture of Dan Storey
by Dan Storey - Tuesday, 4 April 2017, 2:53 PM

Kallidus does not use iframes for Adapt courses. All you get is a nice clean html document :)

Picture of Paul Steven
by Paul Steven - Tuesday, 4 April 2017, 4:02 PM

If the popup blocker doesn't stop you:)

Seriously though - I am curious as to the alternatives to using iFrames.

My understanding is that if you do not use an iFrame to display a SCORM course, then the alternative method of displaying a SCORM course could be blocked by a popup blocker. 

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Tuesday, 4 April 2017, 5:17 PM

In our experience this is only a problem for a client who is new to e-learning. Since typically most learning management systems display courses in a popup window the client will generally have already put something in place to explain to users the need to turn off the overly-zealous popup blocker that's in iOS.

Where we have clients who are new to e-learning this is something we'll flag to them quite early on.

Picture of Chris Gillison
by Chris Gillison - Tuesday, 4 April 2017, 6:43 PM

Hurrah! Thanks Dan

Picture of Dan Storey
by Dan Storey - Friday, 7 April 2017, 9:42 AM

Update - I have just been looking at the new version of Kallidus and they have changed it so courses open in the existing window in a modal with the course contained in an iframe

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 7 April 2017, 10:30 AM

boooooooooooo

thanks for sharing though, useful to know

Picture of Jana Kemmer
by Jana Kemmer - Wednesday, 5 April 2017, 10:24 AM

Thanks Matt, 

that helped quite a lot. I tried a few of your solutions. I'm having some minor problems with some of those but I think I'll find the one that's fitting for my setup. Generally they all seem to work fine.