Picture of Sudha M
Authoring Tool
by Sudha M - Friday, 13 June 2014, 9:20 AM

1. Please do let me know the instructions to install the authoring tool.

2. Can the framework be used in an offline mode ?

me
Re: Authoring Tool
by Sven Laux - Friday, 13 June 2014, 10:22 AM

Hi Sudha,

thanks for your note.

We're still working on the authoring tool for non-technical users and haven't released it yet, I'm afraid.

If you are confident editing JSON files (similar to editing XML), you could try to install and use our Adapt Framework aimed at developers. The installation instructions are on this page under the heading 'Developers: Getting started'.

I hope this helps,
Sven

Picture of Sudha M
by Sudha M - Friday, 13 June 2014, 12:16 PM

I have installed the framework and am going through the code. When is the complete authoring tool expected to be released ?

Also - the second query was about offline usage. Would you please let me know what you feel about this.

The goal is to be able to make it cross platform - what are the issues you see in this ?

me
by Sven Laux - Friday, 13 June 2014, 1:25 PM

Hi Sudha,

we're keeping this page up to date with regards to releasing the authoring tool. It currently states that version 0.1 will be released 'during 2014', which is realistic and and close as we feel comfortable to predict.

With regards to offline use, the published content is entirely built in HTML 5 and can therefore be used offline. There are several ways of getting a published package onto a device for offline use. The most common approaches are to use an 'offline player', which is part of some Learning Management systems. Alternatively, you could turn the published content into a native app using a technology like PhoneGap or similar.

The Adapt framework already meets the cross platform requirement. All content produced with the standard Adapt framework works on multiple device types and a wide range of operating systems and browsers. There is a technical specification for version 1.0 and 1.1 of the Adapt Framework, which we try to meet. We test thoroughly and endeavour to fix any bugs anyone might find and register on our issues list on Github quickly.

To answer your question, the key, high-level issues we take into account are:

• designing with mobile devices in mind
  • making intelligent choices about how functionality adapts according to screen-size and device capabilities
  • thorough testing
  • staying on top of platform developments (new OSs and browsers) and maximising capabilities as well as degrading gracefully

We have elaborated a little more about on responsive design principles and how this is applied in Adapt on our responsive design page.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

Sven

Picture of Dick Moore
by Dick Moore - Friday, 13 June 2014, 9:43 PM

Hi Sudha We are developing a couple of courses to be used entirley offline and are very pleased with adapt.

No logon or onward web connection required, all assets housed in the webserver locally, it can even be hosted from a dropbox folder!

Regards

Dick

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 16 June 2014, 8:59 AM

Hi Sudha

I'm not aware of anything in the project at the moment that deals with offline usage - but you can easily do this yourself using something like node-webkit or Adobe AIR. The former requires no installation by the user and so would be excellent for CD-ROM based content. The latter does require installation but is significantly more feature-rich.

Unless you're talking about offline SCORM access (i.e. with tracking) - in which case that's something that really needs to be handled by the LMS, not by the content. I know Cornerstone on Demand has such an app (still in late beta though?), as does Rubicon's Intuition (which I have used as is very good).

Hope this helps