Picture of Matt Leathes
Adapt Framework v3 Released!
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 12 March 2018, 12:45 PM

I'm very pleased to announce the release of Adapt Framework v3 - the first major release of the Adapt Framework since we released v2 way back in August 2015.

The headline change in this release - as you may have gathered from previous forum posts and the release name - 'The one where we finally dropped support for IE8/9/10' - is that we're ceasing any further feature development for legacy browsers like IE8, 9 and 10.

Remember, if you still need support for those browsers, you can use the Legacy branch of Adapt.

As well as eviscerating all the IE8-specific hacks from Adapt, we also took the opportunity of this being a major release to make some changes to the core code to put us in a better position for future releases of Adapt and some other new features we've got in the pipeline - specifically xAPI support - as well as one or two new features.

As ever, you can find full details of the change over in the CHANGELOG, but here are some 'headline items' for your delectation:

• Accessibility is now activated via a dedicated button in the top bar
  • For environments (e.g. SharePoint) that don't support the JSON mime-type you can now any file extension you like - such as .txt - for JSON files
  • Adapt courses now contain a 'build model' that list information about what was used to build the course e.g. framework version, installed plugins etc. to help with debugging
  • Questions can now set the title for feedback rather than it always being the component title
  • Notify has been updated to include support for 'subviews'
  • Lots of work was done in preparation for adding xAPI support to Adapt

Some things to watch out for:

• You'll need to use the latest versions of media, spoor, languagePicker and the vanilla theme with Adapt v3
  • The location of adapt.css has changed: it was in adapt/css but now lives in the course 'root' folder.
  • The 'completion criteria' have moved location in config.json - they were part of the _spoor object but since they apply to xAPI as well they now get their own object.

Aside from that last change to config.json, content from any recent Adapt v2 course should be compatible with Adapt v3, so if you have a course you want to upgrade from v2 to v3 it should just be a case of creating the new v3 version, copying in the JSON and assets from the v2 course, amending config.json and building.

As ever many, many thanks to all the wonderful, talented and - dare I say it - stunningly attractive people who contributed to this release. You're all marvellous, simply marvellous!

Picture of Helen Bailey
Re: Adapt Framework v3 Released!
by Helen Bailey - Monday, 12 March 2018, 5:02 PM

Excellent work team yay!

Can someone tell me if it's ok to upgrade to FW3.0 when using the latest AT?

Cheers.

Picture of Paul Hilton
by Paul Hilton - Monday, 12 March 2018, 8:11 PM

Brilliant - well done all.

Re the authoring tool - I wouldn't jump in with both feet Helen.

The Authoring Tool only supports one framework installed at a time, so the update would get installed into all your projects. I think it is entirely possible there will some compatibility issues - so I would really recommend testing it out before deploying to a production server.

Paul

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 12 March 2018, 8:24 PM

I would recommend you wait until the next release of the authoring tool TBH - at the very least there were a fair amount of changes made to the core .schema files for Adapt that still need to be applied to the authoring tool - and I'm sure there are other things that need to be taken into consideration too.

There's also a few changes to plugins that still need to be reviewed & released in order for some of the changes we've made in core to be implemented.

Picture of Cormac O'Keeffe
by Cormac O'Keeffe - Tuesday, 13 March 2018, 11:12 AM

Great!

Picture of Bill Randall
by Bill Randall - Thursday, 1 November 2018, 12:27 PM

Hi Matt,

In V3 of the framework, I'm using .txt as the file extension instead of .json (to get around mime-type issues).

To run the grunt dev processes, I've been forcing .txt in the terminal window.

Is there a switch I should be setting somewhere, or another 'proper' way I should be doing it?

Thanks for your help!

Bill

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Thursday, 1 November 2018, 2:50 PM

Hi Bill

Do you mean you are doing grunt dev --jsonext=txt?

If so then I believe that is the proper way - but I guess you could change this if you didn't want to keep specifying it.

Alternatively you could switch to rub-cli which does allow you to configure this as a default - as well as several other advantages such as:

• not having to have two copies of all your JSON & assets and therefore:
  • not having to run a command line task just to amend JSON/assets and
  • being able to build multiple courses from the same src
Picture of Bill Randall
by Bill Randall - Thursday, 1 November 2018, 3:21 PM

Yes, that's how I was doing it, so I'll make the change - thanks for your advice!

I'll check out rub-cli as well, that sounds really useful.

Picture of K Edison
by K Edison - Monday, 8 April 2019, 11:33 AM

I would like to upload and adapt course to Sharepoint 2013.

1. Do I just covert all the .json files to .txt files within my build folder or all .json files within my framework?

2. Is the next step to just run grunt dev --jsonext=txt ?

3. Is there any thing else I need to do?