Picture of Matt Leathes
Proposal to drop IE11 from the next major release of Adapt Framework
by Matt Leathes - Monday, 12 April 2021, 5:51 PM

As you may have noticed, 2021 seems to be shaping up to be the year that everyone starts to give up on that creaking dinosaur of the web: Internet Explorer v11.

Microsoft have already stopped supporting it for Teams and have announced that they will drop support for it from all the other web-based versions of their Office 365 apps in August this year. They are strongly encouraging everyone to switch to Edge and use that browser's Internet Explorer Mode for any applications or websites that haven't yet (or can't be) updated to work with modern browsers.

SAP have started alerting their customers that they intend to drop support for IE11 in the 2nd half of this year - and Moodle has already dropped support for IE11.

In March, Wordpress proposed dropping support for IE11 in a future release - as did Drupal.

VueJS this month announced that they will not include support for IE11 in v3.

So, in that vein, we'd like to start a discussion about dropping support for IE11 from Adapt Framework v6 and beyond.

The plan at this point in time is to follow a similar path to the one we went down when dropping support for IE8/9/10 - essentially we'll keep supporting Adapt Framework v5 with bug fixes but any new feature development in v6 and beyond will support 'evergreen' browsers only.

Let us know your thoughts...

Picture of Ailiniyazi Maimaiti
Re: Proposal to drop IE11 from the next major release of Adapt Framework
by Ailiniyazi Maimaiti - Monday, 19 April 2021, 7:40 AM

I don't know how many users are still using IE11, the old web browsers have serious security issues as well as not compatible with the latest web standards, I think we can follow up with them and drop the support for IE11.

Picture of Barry Jenkin
by Barry Jenkin - Tuesday, 27 April 2021, 7:33 AM

My first thought is .. THANK YOU JESUS!!  🙏

Picture of Rob Mausser
by Rob Mausser - Tuesday, 27 April 2021, 5:06 PM

Will Adapt 6 be a huge overhaul like 5 or will most Adapt 5 plugins etc work in 6. 

Picture of Oliver Foster
by Oliver Foster - Wednesday, 28 April 2021, 7:57 AM

It should be completely backward compatible except for the removal of some (as yet undecided) previously deprecated apis.

Picture of Jason Wilson
by Jason Wilson - Wednesday, 28 April 2021, 9:54 PM

Yes, I agree that there's any reason to continue supporting IE11.

On a slightly different note, is there a feature request thread for Adapt 6 - since starting to use the Author Tool this year, I've found a few things that would be "nice to have".

Thanks!

Picture of Oliver Foster
by Oliver Foster - Thursday, 29 April 2021, 8:31 AM

You can leave them on github in the issues section. For either the authoring tool or the framework.

https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/issues

https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_framework/issues

Picture of Jason Wilson
by Jason Wilson - Thursday, 29 April 2021, 9:44 PM

Great, thanks Oliver.