Picture of Paul McElvaney
DevLearn presentation
by Paul McElvaney - Wednesday, 19 August 2015, 9:45 AM

Hi all,

I'm going to be doing a presentation at DevLearn this September on Adapt with the aim of building the project's profile in the US and hopefully finding some new partners to contribute to the project.

I want to do a 1 slide description of what Adapt is and am struggling a bit - I wondered if anyone could help me, perhaps with something you've prepared already.

Grateful for any help - if you prefer email me paul[at]learningpool[dot]com

Thanks

Paul

Picture of x z
Re: DevLearn presentation
by x z - Wednesday, 19 August 2015, 1:57 PM

Hi Paul, 

I'm going to take a little more time to sort through my thougts and then post them. Also this forum is very glitchy this morning which is making it hard to enter a response.

Question: who is your audience likely to be?

Suggestion: think about abandoning PPT slides and bundling your presentation into an Adapt lesson format to show how it's a game changer.

More later,

-SueH

Picture of x z
by x z - Wednesday, 19 August 2015, 3:04 PM

Drat ... this thing is so glitchy today that most of my response was dumped. I'm going for a walk and will recompose my thoughts later. .... Drat!!!!!

by Paul McElvaney - Thursday, 20 August 2015, 8:35 AM

Thanks Sue - yeah we probably will do the presentation in Adapt. Audience is learning technology folks, developers, techs and, hopefully, decision makers!

Picture of x z
by x z - Thursday, 20 August 2015, 10:51 AM

It wouldl be fun for them to 'play along -- there's no substitute for being hands on :-) to get people excited. (Still clarifying my ideas -- full response to come.)

Picture of x z
by x z - Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 1:23 AM

I apologize for not getting this to you faster, Paul, but it's taken me most of several days for me to create some clarity. Perhaps there's something here you can use. 

I'm not working with Adapt yet because I don't have the coding knowledge needed install & use it, but I'm following the forums so when a more fully functional, user-friendly version of the authoring tool is available, I can get started right away. I'm writing from the point of view of a K-12 /higher ed. folk who would be looking at Adapt as a tool for moving from f2f to blended or online learning (rather than as a corporate instructional designer).

If I were presenting about Adapt to a group of my peers, these are some of the things I'd say.....

Adapt has the potential to:

1. become the Moodle of the mLearning world. 

(a) It's a content management system (CMS) designed to work inside the wrapper of a larger LMS which would handle the administrative and social and some of the assessment functions of the course.

(a) It will empower us to deliver truly anytime/anywhere/any device learning experiences. Most content development tools have been retooled so courses which work fine on a big screen supposedly resize responsively when viewed on a smaller one, but the results are generally less than ideal. Adapt, on the other hand, has been designed with delivering effective and engaging learning experiences inside the limited screen space of a smartphone as its primary goal. Fortunately, Adapt's structure is also responsive so that users of tablets and larger screen laptop & desktop computers don't lose out.  :-)

(b) It's open source & the code is freely available, although at this point the development of proprietary versions (esp. of the authoring tool) is running quite a way ahead of the free one.

(c) The community is extremely helpful & is growing (I suspect Moodle in its early days started very small). The knowledge about how to use it will reside in the community rather than with a select group of product experts.

(d) New features arise from the needs identified by the community. Their incorporation seems slow now but will speed up as more people with coding skills offer to help with the development work.

(e) The goal is for Adapt to be intuitive and easy for educators to use but a fully functional & easily installed Authoring tool is not currently available except through companies such as Learning Pool (free trial) and Appitièrre (free for educators).

2. help mLearning drive pedagogical disruption in a way that eLearning never did.

My theory of why eLearning has not been the pedagogical game-changer it was expected to be is that the downsizing required to move instruction from the classroom to a traditional computer and LMS wasn't radical enough. When you sell the big family home, the smaller the space you move into, the more you have to choose between what's really important and will be kept vs. what is surplus (i.e. would be nice to have but is not a 'need'). The move to eLearning could have been the impetus for an equivalent change in traditional course construction, but it didn't throw a harsh enough light on its shortcomings. It turned out that the same lectures, assignments, class discussions, resource lists, and evaluations could be delivered through an LMS without having to make significant cuts or redesign choices. 

(a) When coverage is king 

(http://chronicle.com/blogs/profhacker/teaching-for-uncoverage-rather-than-coverage/35459)

Many higher ed. instructors believe they are doing their best for their content & their students by making sure they (the instructors) cover everything. The closer these instructors get to the grail of complete coverage, the more confidently they can say: "I've done my job; now it's over to the students to do theirs." The higher the education level & the greater the number of students per class, the more easily deficiencies in learning can be written off as resulting from deficiencies in the learners (don't devote enough time or manage it well, make poor choices about what's important, don't pay attention in class, have too many competing priorities, lack sufficient background, don't really belong here). 

The most extreme example of the coverage model is the MOOC. MOOCs can be so vast that it's impossible for the instructor to have any responsibility in the learning process beyond assembling & presenting content. Whether & what individuals learn is completely up to them. (Ironically, MOOC data, which I think could reveal in an extreme way the shortcomings of the coverage model, instead are being used to support the rebranding of these shortcomings as virtues in an effort to make the case for 'personalized learning'.)

It's not unusual for f2f instructors, under the banners of 'blended' or 'flipped' learning, to use their LMS space like a storage garage they can fill with extra components which make their courses even bigger and more comprehensive. This way they can really ensure nothing is missed out! As well, when first transitioning to eTeaching, traditional instructors often see the key challenge as trying to reproduce their courses & the full classroom experience in the virtual, asynchronous space. To facilitate this, LMS's have added numerous features which make them so complex that often extensive training is needed for instructors to develop courses and online students must devote a good portion of the first week in a course to learning how to navigate, participate, and get assignments submitted on time. 

Unfortunately, this kind of 'content attachment' can make differentiating what learners really need to know and be able to do by the end of a course very challenging. Instructors who insist everything is important effectively leave these decisions in the hands of those who are least likely to know how to choose well -- i.e. their students. And make no bones about it.... students faced with content bloat do make choices about where to invest their learning energy, often by simply opting out of what they consider less interesting or too challenging or time-consuming.

(b) Size matters

I believe small devices & smartphones particularly (iWatch excluded) will prove be the pedagogical game changer that desktop & laptop computers never were. Statistics say that:

~ "58% of students own 3 or more mobile devices" (http://elearninginfographics.com/student-mobile-workspaces-infographic/)

~ By 2015, 80% of people will access the internet via a hand-held device; learners prefer their mobile devices, use them everywhere, & would complete more training (& presumably academic course work) if it were offered in a mobile format (http://elearninginfographics.com/case-mobile-learning-infographic/).

Creating effective mLearning requires assessing its effectiveness not just from an instructional standpoint but also from the learners' side of the screen. For them, consistency of experience across devices is a priority (mentioned in several infographics on this page -- http://elearninginfographics.com/category/mobile-learning-infographics/). Although squishing eLessons, many of which are f2f transplants, into the small screen learning environment of the smartphone delivers the same content and so can be seen as meeting that expectation, it also gives rise to serious barriers to learning. Clumsy navigation, the inability to easily scan and skim, and mind numbing scrolling challenge even the most seasoned and motivated learners' abilities to find what they need and remain focussed on the very content it was so important to preserve. Add to that the fact that people are often using their phones to study in less than ideal conditions (see infographic at http://elearninginfographics.com/case-mobile-learning-infographic/) and what gets sacrificed by not making the tough downsizing & redesign choices is quality of the learning.  

(c) Small can be beautiful

Having thought deeply about what makes for effective and if not learner-centred, at least learner-friendly mLearning, Adapt's designers have given us a paradigm-shifting structure that avoids the pitfalls and capitalizes on the affordances of smartphone touch screens. Adapt lessons look and feel different. Content is delivered in compartmentalized chunks. Vertically and horizontally scrolling through these components rather than through lines of text facilitates scanning to get an overview, skimming for specific information, and reading for deeper comprehension and details. Clustering related content and activities eliminates time consuming 'away & back' navigation. Positioning instructional and active learning blocks side by side encourages going back and forth between them. 

Adapt has the potential to make the transition to 'small first' course design as easy as ABC, but you should know that right now the open source Authoring tool does not yet deliver on its goal of "being intuitive and easy to use" (Adapt mission statement). Unless you have the time and coding skills to install & use the Framework and know your way around GitHub, Adapt can provide an innovative mLearning design model but is not ready for you to use. 

In the meantime, exploring lesson samples shared by community members and companies such as Kineo, Learning Pool, and Appitièrre and following the Adapt community forums to learn about the functions that are available can get you started on thinking through how to streamline course materials. Wireframing redesigned content, resources, learning activities, and assessments and then sharing the mock-ups with students and colleagues can provide the feedback needed to make improvements prior to actually using Adapt.

3. set a new standard for online course development.

Developing online course materials that work well in the mLearning environment requires merging pedagogy with design thinking. By this I mean that fulfilling one's instructional objectives and providing a user friendly learning experience must come to be seen as interdependent priorities. Empowering learners to focus on what they need to know and be able to do in order to be successful is where good teaching, good design, and the Adapt tools meet. By making the design part easy, Adapt will at the same time encourage educators to develop more effective instructional and learning activities and make it possible for us deliver a comparable high quality user experience whatever a student's device of choice. By removing barriers to engagement and sustained attention, lessons developed using Adapt will "relieve students of the need to adapt in order to succeed" (http://www.kpu.ca/sites/default/files/Teaching%20and%20Learning/TD.4.2.5_Kumar_Inclusive_Classroom.pdf). By contributing to the development of Adapt through sharing your expertise in the forums, working on the 'how to' documentation, testing updates and new plugins, or working on the code, you can contribute to the open source movement and help get Adapt into more people's hands faster. 

Good luck with your presentation.

-Sue

Picture of Chuck Lorenz
by Chuck Lorenz - Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 2:15 AM

And from someone who will not be presenting, thank you, Sue, for the time and effort to share your thoughts.

Mark
by Mark Lynch - Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 8:03 AM

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the detailed response, I especially liked this 'help mLearning drive pedagogical disruption in a way that eLearning never did' such a bold statement.

Mark.

by Paul McElvaney - Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 10:23 AM

Wow... thanks for putting so much time into this Sue, its greatly appreciated.

I'll go through this in detail and share version 1 of my presentation with you when its ready. Could you perhaps email me? I'm paul[at]learningpool[dot]com.

Thanks again

Paul

Picture of John Niezen
by John Niezen - Monday, 7 September 2015, 2:28 PM

Sue, great summary, or one pager.

I know this will help our team setup some pointers for a good presentation to our peers why we choose this way forward, and how they can benefit from the community experience.

John

Picture of x z
by x z - Monday, 7 September 2015, 5:02 PM

Thanks, John. Those were purely personal reflections -- insights gained on my own journey as an online learner & teacher. Since writing that, I found 2 sources I really like both written in 2012. I shared them with Paul via email, but perhaps others may find them useful. I think they complement each other well and make for a clear vision for m-learning development. The academic community particularly will like the fact that they are research (evidence)-based.

(1) Read from bottom of pg. 10 though pg.12 & pg. 93 to 111. A lot can be said about how Adapt has been designed to help meet the needs of an m-pedagogy.

https://scholarsbank.uoregon.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1794/12253/Dillard2012.pdf?sequence=1

(2) The last half is less about m-learning in general & more about the writer's personal corporate experience & so can be skipped.

http://www.learningsolutionsmag.com/articles/1018/designing-content-for-multiple-mobile-devices

Read also the first nay-sayer's comment beneath the article (Comment #3)

The interesting thing is how new this all is and how the rate of increase of use of small devices has rounded the curve from slow gradual growth to rapid acceleration. Despite what the deny-ers say about the ineffectiveness of m-(ad e-) learning, people are going to consume it more & more so we'd better figure out (1) how to get it right & (2) what tools to use it to deliver it best.

There are probably going to be trade-offs -- losses of some very valuable aspects of f2f courses that will be very hard to give up, but there are huge potential gains in terms of immediacy of application & transference which have been elusive under traditional paradigms.

I think what academics have to wrestle with in a different way from corporate designers is that the era of the 'trapped audience' is waning fast. With so many learning opportunities at their finger tips, learners have so many options to meet their needs. Sustained learner attention is the prize. You have to hook a fish first. Then you can reel it in.

-S

by Paul McElvaney - Tuesday, 6 October 2015, 7:45 AM

Hi folks,

Just a quick update on this - Myself and the Learning Pool team went to DevLearn and pitched Adapt a couple of times. Copies of my slides (or a version of them) and some of the demo stuff we used are at www.learningpool.com/adapt

Helen, we chickened out of using Adapt for the actual slideshow because we were uncertain about room size, projectors etc. I did have a customer last week tell me that they are delivering all their presentations using Adapt now though and getting great value from the builder to do this so we'll look at this for the next time.

Lots of interest in Adapt and a remarkable number of 'silent users' out there who we encouraged to contribute back and get involved - I'll share my detailed feedback with the marketing group in due course.

Thanks to anyone who helped us put this together.

Regards

me
by Sven Laux - Tuesday, 6 October 2015, 8:35 AM

Hi Paul,

just wanted to say a huge thanks on behalf of the project for doing the presentation and highlighting Adapt at DevLearn and encouraging people to get involved.

It's great to hear how many people are aware of Adapt and we're keen to get more people involved in the project.

A small note to everyone in the community: Getting involved is easier than you might think and it's also fun. Here is a post showing a few simple, practical ways to become part of it: https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=310&parent=1501

Thanks,
Sven

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Wednesday, 19 August 2015, 4:46 PM

Apologies if you have already seen this - but there is some very helpful information here, maybe a very simplified version of this page would work i.e.

• responsive elearning concept
  • adapt key features (multi-device, responsive, scrolling, accessible content, RTL support)
  • breakdown of the adapt page layout