Picture of Chris Gillison
Re: An update on why iOS iframes are terrible
by Chris Gillison - Friday, 26 May 2017, 10:46 AM

Hi Ollie,

By 'have a launch page' do you mean that when the learner clicked on the course title in the LMS it would launch, say, 'launch.html' (this would be set in the manifest file) and then that launch page would have a launch button linked to Adapt's index_lms.html?

I also see there's adapt-launchNewWindow extension. Haven't had a chance to try it yet but does that do something similar?

Also, for anyone else who winds up in this thread there are a couple of related threads here and here which are very insightful. It seems Kallidus also uses an iframe, so the issue could be quite widespread.

Finally, I looked at iOS-scrollFix this morning and it requires a patch in Trickle's .js and LESS files. Those Trickle files seem to have been completely re-written subsequently so the patch instructions are out of date and unuseable.

Cheers,

Chris

Picture of Matt Leathes
by Matt Leathes - Friday, 26 May 2017, 11:40 AM

By 'have a launch page' do you mean that when the learner clicked on the course title in the LMS it would launch, say, 'launch.html' (this would be set in the manifest file) and then that launch page would have a launch button linked to Adapt's index_lms.html?

Pretty much, yes. It actually tries to open Adapt's index_lms.html automatically. The link to do so is there as a fallback in case of popup blockers. There's an example here.

I also see there's adapt-launchNewWindow extension. Haven't had a chance to try it yet but does that do something similar?

Yes it does and quite frankly I would go for this option.

Finally, I looked at iOS-scrollFix this morning and it requires a patch in Trickle's .js and LESS files. Those Trickle files seem to have been completely re-written subsequently so the patch instructions are out of date and unuseable.

Which patch instructions?

Picture of Oliver Foster
by Oliver Foster - Friday, 26 May 2017, 11:57 AM

I've updated the ios-scrollfix readme and the example branch on trickle so that it reads correctly.

The patch instructions we correct, they just weren't clear.