Picture of Sarah Langborne
New to Adapt- Authoring?
by Sarah Langborne - Monday, 5 October 2015, 1:02 AM

Hi everyone,

Our company is currently exploring Adapt and I've been doing some research over the past few days.

I'm an ID and not any good at coding, but have a pretty quick to pick up technical mind if that makes any sense..

From what I understand, and please correct me if I am mistaken, this is the rundown I have of how things would move forward should we embark with Adapt as our authoring platform.

- Two sides to Adapt: the Authoring tool,  and the Framework side (which is the dev side of things in regards to code and it being built and customising the Authoring tool).

- The Authoring tool is ready to go in terms of a number of functions, however is still being built for total customisation. (Q- Does anyone have a complete list of functions already available?)

- The frame work side is where the community is working to assist and test in development for the Auth tool. ( Q- If we were to move forward with this and ask our IT team to assist us with the coding and development could they customise our end of the framework side to allow for our requirements?)

I have read through the concept and a lot of what we are after is included, however that is the concept and I am fully aware that this program is still being developed, so not sure where it is up to at this stage.

We are after a number of things, is there any way someone could let me know where the authoring tool is up to in regards to current functionality?

Requirements- Current Functionality?

• Customisable fonts (our individual brands have custom fonts)?
  • Embed videos, images, captivate screen capture files, audio?
  • Can we customize the ticks or crosses for MCQ? Or the customizable imagery for Hot graphics?

• Can we customize the “marking, reset, model answer” text options? Can we customize “ correct/partially correct/incorrect”

• Interactive activities/animations?

• Drag and Drop?
  • Branching scenarios?
  • MCQ?
  • Stamps upon completion?
  • Scrolling

• Images

• Logo

• Colours - our own?

• Fonts - our own?

• Branching - ready now?

• Tin can coming soon? ready now?

• Can develop unique themes - Create themes to re use for separate modules

• Apply background graphics to different sections - our own imagery/ branding colours?

• Questions:

•  Multiple choice

• Matching questions

• Open text

• Slider ( learner positions a slider on a scale)

• Graphical MCQ ( select one or more on an image)

• Video

• Audio

• Motion graphics

• Simulations

• Interactive animations

• Narrative: image gallery with text (On mobile phones the display text is presented in a full screen pop-up, which needs to be closed before the learner can continue.)

• Accordion- clickable tiles which reveal text

• Hot graphics (images that when clicked display detailed popups of text)

• Reveal- sliding control to display alternating images/text

• Progress bar

• Will display on and auto fit to mobile devices

• Can edit and preview as you go along

• (-concept) Language ?

• Resources section

• Persistent navbar along the top of the page, with section headings, with the ability to select to relocate to different sections.

Any help anyone can provide me is truly appreciated.

Greatest of thanks!

Sarah

me
Re: New to Adapt- Authoring?
by Sven Laux - Monday, 5 October 2015, 9:19 AM

Hi Sarah,

welcome and thanks for joining and posting your questions. Please see some quick responses below:

The two sides of the project: Framework and Authoring Tool

There are indeed two parts of the overall software being developed here - but they are slightly different to how you've described them.

• The Framework is the functionality / feature set, which is part of the output of the tool and runs in the browser, when learners launch courses built in Adapt. For example, this includes menu, navigation, tracking and a host of interactions (presentation and questions components) such as Multiple Choice Questions etc. You can work directly with the framework to hand build courses, if you have sufficient technical skills (editing JSON files and working with HTML and CSS in particular). If you want to customise the behaviour, you'll also need JavaScript skills.
  • The Authoring Tool is essentially the data input software, which offers a graphical user interface (GUI) to build the course. This essentially takes away the need to hand build as described above and is therefore aimed at people who would describe themselves as non-technical (as you do).

As far as the specification of the output (i.e. the published courses) goes, there is a detailed description on this page and shows what can be done with the Adapt Framework version 2.0, which is what our latest release of the authoring tool (version 0.1.2) uses.

- The Authoring tool is ready to go in terms of a number of functions, however is still being built for total customisation. (Q- Does anyone have a complete list of functions already available?)

I hope that part of the answer to this question is contained in the link to the description and spec of the Adapt Framework v2.0.

However, as you say, the authoring tool is not fully built at this stage and there are some functions, which have not yet been fully developed. I have provided a list of previous release notes to help you find out what has been built so far:

(I think it might make sense for us to summarise these into a page on what's covered and possible, which we'll keep up to date. I'll talk to the team about this on our regular stand-up tomorrow)

- The frame work side is where the community is working to assist and test in development for the Auth tool. ( Q- If we were to move forward with this and ask our IT team to assist us with the coding and development could they customise our end of the framework side to allow for our requirements?)

Please see the explanation above, which explains the relationship between the framework and the authoring tool. In summary, you can either use the framework directly to build courses or use the authoring tool (which then uses the framework for you).

It would be great to have your IT team involved. We're always keen to get people to help us implement our roadmap. As for incorporating your requirements, there are multiple avenues. It all starts by defining and communicating these requirements to the project. Most often they're aligned with what the project wants to achieve and if so, your team could work closely together with the core team (or even become part of the core team) to implement them. As and where your requirements differ and are not suitable for the generic Adapt product, you can always "fork" parts of the code and develop and maintain alternative parts of the code. There is a lot of freedom with the GPL 3.0 license. I'd say it's well worth checking with the Adapt team in the first instance as most requirements tend to align quite well.

Hopefully this is a helpful initial answer!

Thanks and best regards,
Sven

Picture of JohnMoore R
by JohnMoore R - Friday, 9 October 2015, 10:56 AM

Really a great advice. I ever got this like explanation :)

Picture of Phillip Currie
by Phillip Currie - Tuesday, 23 August 2016, 7:57 AM

Hi Sarah,

I am also looking at options for my organisation. 

I am curious as to whether your organisation went ahead with Adapt.  If so, would you be willing to share a little about your experience please?

Thanks and regards

Phil